Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Day One- All Set!



My first day in New Hampshire was very exciting. It is funny because I had certain expectations for what I wanted to learn and experience but did not have any for what I would be doing for the campaign. After we arrived in the campaign office and everyone was introduced to one another, a shout out is made for someone to join a canvassing group and I quickly offered my help. I met Rob (a senior from George Washington in DC) and Simon (a sophomore at Penn in Pennsylvania). I was very nervous as this was my first time to canvass, but Simon offered her advice and a few demonstrations. After watching Simon a couple of times, I did my first canvas. It was snowing very hard and I had feeling of nervousness because I hate to feel like I may be bothering someone. This changed quickly as I found out the majority of the people I encountered were very opinionated and helpful in offering their answers to our questions. I found that most people I canvassed on day one were the working middle class. While walking from house to house during the working hours we encountered many people who were not home or that were clearly home and did not open the door. New Hampshire is very scenic and it is so much fun to walk it and meet the people of New Hampshire. When I canvass people and I get an answer like “ I don’t vote” I so badly want to tell them how important it is and that our nations future is depending on primary outcomes but restrain myself to simply mark a refusal on my survey sheet. My first negative outcome was interesting; I almost did not know what to say. The person just flat out said I will not tell you and move your car in a very rude manor. I simply said thanks for your time and darted. I have since become used to this. Around mid-day, the snow stopped falling and the sun came out. By this time, we had canvassed many houses with a lot of great responses and were looking forward to for something to eat. After we ate, we headed back out to cover some more areas of Nashua and ended canvassing around 5:30. When we arrived back at the campaign office in downtown Nashua we loaded up Hillary street signs to place all around Nashua. The crew left at six sharp. While doing this we place them on every major visibility corner or area. I had to step into some deep snow that at times went over my knee! We came back around eight to the campaign office and received a ride back to the hotel. It was a great experience to be with people so enthusiastic and motivated. I met many great people today and look forward to working with them and more in the coming days up to the primary. Go Hill!

No comments: